Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Interview with Graphic Designer, Cornelia Flak


Interview with Cornelia Flak, Freelance Graphic Designer, Hamburg Germany.
Q1. Did you begin your career with training or study? Where? And a brief overview of your career?

Yes, with study. One year at a private graphic Design School (well respected but I had to pay for) as I wasn’t accepted into Uni. In 1989 I got into the University of Applied Arts in Hamburg that had the best reputation (and in those days, mostly free education). Communication Design for 3 years with Diploma for one year at the end. Throughout my study I worked always in advertising agencies for experience. Several while I studied.
After the second semester of Uni we exhibited our work in an exhibition. From this one of the best creative advertising agencies came, Jung Von Matt (google them…they’re really big!) and they offered me to work for them. So I actually started freelancing for them during my study years.
1999. 3 months in London in a design company. Also Berlin for 2-3 months in 2000.
Then I finished my studies and I started work in a big creative design company in Hamburg, Springer & Jacoby. Also worked for a television company and for Mercedes Benz as a graphic designer.
I started doing just layout of campaigns with some imput of little ideas as the Art Directors did most of the big ideas.
Then Australia for one year backpacking. I travelled and painted kooky souvenirs in Darwin at the markets and painted vans, like for friends travelling around. One van I covered in red dragons, all freehand.
The last 3 and a half years I have been self-employed in Hamburg. Usually contract work or project-based work for clients- anything from one day to 6 months and it’s going well. These days I work for half the time and get paid double the money so it’s good.

Q2. When you studied did you consider anyone to be a mentor? Or were you inspired by anyone?

My teachers at Uni in particular. They supported me getting work experience while I studied. They liked that I was independent and good at the work. And they were very encouraging.

Q3. What kind of Graphic Design do you mostly do now?

Now…everything that is going to be printed…. brochures, flyers. I like InDesign. Corporate designs, logos and business papers (letterheads) and cards. Websites, but not doing the programming, just the artwork.

Q4. Over the years have you developed a unique design style? Or can you describe how you work?

Probably, but it’s difficult to describe my style. I know I am reliable for my clients. Quick. I can’t do anything that doesn’t look nice. It can’t look cheap. Everything I do is very colourful because of my artistic background.

Q5. Describe your studio and the set-up you have?

70% of my work I do at home.
15” laptop Mac Powerbook G4 and another monitor.
Indesign. Illustrator. Photoshop and Quark Xpress.
Scanner.
No graphics tablet.
DVD burner.
Colour laser A4 printer
…and the fastest Internet connection possible.
I usually send pdf’s, not much printing. I just send the files.


Q6. When you get a brief where do you start?

Always I have a little brainstorming. Then I make sketches. It’s possible I inform myself about the product and client’s competition. Then I just make something up. Mostly I don’t look at what other graphic designers are doing – not so much magazines and current journals. I just do it myself.

Q7. What are your favourite jobs?

I like to do advertising campaigns for young and wild products or clients. Then I can create work I call “freaky” or “totally gaga”. If you look on my website I created an Ad for a Jeans brand that doesn’t exist. I’ve also created some funky jewellery…guitar plectrums as earrings. I also like doing advertising for cars in particular.

Q8. What jobs make up your basic income?

I have a lot of Pharmacy clients. They are my nice paying, very good bread and butter clients. They are nice people too. The work isn’t so creative but just good.

Q9. What advice would you give to someone starting out as a graphic designer?

Get as much work experience as you can and work in as many companies as you can. When someone asks if you can do a job...just say yes…then learn fast how to do whatever it is you need to learn to do that job. If it’s, say, a Photoshop thing ask people til you get someone to tell you. And make as many connections as you can. In Germany we call it the Vitamin B theory. Because the word for Vit.B is connections. Connections will get you on your way.

Q10. How do you get most of your work/promote yourself?

Word of mouth. Website. And pdf portfolio. Everything is online. I just send the portfolio as a multiple page pdf. I also have a freelancing agency. And they call me. They get 10% of any job that job.

Q10. What do you think is most important to a client?

To be fast, quick and do good work that everyone can understand.

Q11. How would you describe what is “cutting edge” in design? Can you describe changes in trends over the time you have been working?

Yes, there have been many changes. Typographically, well a while back everything was so Helvetica, it still is in a sense. In ’98 David Carson style text was influential…you know words overlaid on each other. Everyone was oriented that way. But now it’s simpler and so pure. Cooler. Separate. With colours there are changes every 4 to 5 years.

Q12. Is there any area you would like to branch into/explore/develop?

I would like to open up an Advertising Agency. A very creative, different one. Finding the right people to do that with is the hardest thing. I haven’t found them yet.
I would rather have kids as well I think. I am 32. I think that would be good.

Q13.Who inspires you now?

My meditation. My meditation gives me a lot more creativity.

Q14. What do you do when you cannot get inspired for a particular job; you know get a creative block?

Go for a walk. Try doing something else for a few hours. Try to shift. Have a shower…I get some of my best ideas in the shower.

Q15. What was one of your most successful/enjoyable jobs?

The Mercedes-Benz AMG Advert. The teaser and the follow-up. The ads worked together. Its on my website. The ad won a bronze medal in the German Art Director’s Club.

Q16. What was one of your worst?

I had to do a package for a haemorrhoid cream- a relaunch. I had to put a really yucky green in the typography. I admit the client and I laughed a lot over that.

Q17. Do you prefer to work solo or in a team?

Solo. Both are good in different ways.

Q18. Do you have any “pet hates” when it comes to design work?

We call it dialogue marketing. Everything that comes into your letterbox. And catalogue design.

Q19. How does being a graphic designer interrelate to the different aspects of your life? Do you think you see the world differently?

It totally does effect how I see the world. My experience of looking at the world. I get very excited about what I look at. I like your kitchen wall…with your Italian plates. That’s why I do the job I do. I like it.

Q20. What is the most enjoyable/satisfying part of being a graphic designer?

Being creative and writing bills (ha!ha!) and seeing the things you have done outside in the world. Like, “that was my first logo”, and maybe you can bring a little bit of your world into the world of others.
I would like to make the world a little better!

No comments: